Sunday, June 13, 2010

What's Blooming in the Yard?

I have a lot of wildflowers coming up in the garden. It's hard not to spend at least a few minutes during the day wandering around to see what's up. There are also a bunch of other flowers in the neighborhood that are blooming, but not in my yard. Another post (to include some of the penstemons I've been itching to see on the Mesa).

Oenothera (evening primrose) -

This one is smaller than the first evening primrose that blooms in the spring (that one, I think, is Oenothera caespitosa and seems to prefer disturbed or shaley slopes). This one is about 1.25-1.5 in diameter, and I haven't yet figured out any particular habitat for it. Or it's scientific name, for that matter. But I'm closing in on it.





Linum lewisii (blue flax) One of the books I have differentiates between a Euro import and a native, but I sure can't tell the difference.










Penstemon - I have several varieties that I've planted as well as the ones that come up naturally (or at least from a SF Gardens seed mix for the Sangres). There are about 15-20 of this particular species in full bloom around the yard.









Gaillardia?













Another penstemon - this one I planted. Rocky Mountain
penstemon, I believe.

















Phlox.













This one didn't get planted, but it's a different penstemon than all the others in the yard. Found growing under a juniper. It must have been here a year or two, as it is a fairly big patch, but I didn't notice it last year.















Castilleja or Indian paintbrush.













Gaura (whirling butterflies), with a penstemon backdrop. This one is going crazy this year.

No comments: